The artist COOP and one of his amazing pieces.
Well, I’ve been talking this up for a few weeks, and since I had a really great response, I figured I would start this Guest Mix Series off a little earlier. Our first guest, if I can be honest, I’ve been a fan of for quite sometime. I was first introduced to his art in college via various Rock posters. One that really sticks in my mind was a Southern Culture on the Skids poster for the Troubadour, which portrayed a Rat Fink looking ghoul farting while simultaneously having sex with some country bumpkin girl in the back of a hot rod. I believe I was sold on COOP shortly after that. Fast forward to 2007, and imagine my surprise that an artist I admire is a fan of Flea Market Funk. Music and art go hand and hand, and I am honored to kick off the Guest Mix Series with this man. He’s got great taste in music, plus an insane knowledge and appreciation for all things that are Funky; whether it be cars, toys, photography, etc. When not creating mind blowing duotone paintings by hand, or hanging out with major league photographers taking great photos, he can be found over at Positive Ape Index giving you a peek inside his world. Here’s a nice mix from my man COOP.
1. No No No / Dawn Penn
2. Barbwire Disaster / Augustus Pablo & King Tubby
3. Kentucky Skank / Lee “Scratch” Perry & The Upsetters
4. Steppers / Scientist
5. Ital Stew / The Revolutionaries
6. Chucky No Lucky / Big Youth
7. Vigorton Two / King Stitt
8. Surﬁn / Ernest Ranglin
9. Throw Me Corn / Brentford All-Stars
10. Electric Shock / The Music Doctors
11. Mun-Dun-Gu / Cedric ‘Im Brooks & The Sound Dimension
12. Bionic Horn / Aggrovators Feat. King Tubby & Bunny Lee
13. Coco-Macca / Vin Gordon, Lee Perry & The Upsetters
14. K.G.’s Half Way Tree / Augustus Pablo & The Simplicity People
15. Natty Dread Dub / The Revolutionaries
16. More Scrubbing the Dub / Derrick Harriott
17. Middle East Rock / Dillinger
18. Meditation / Count Ossie
19. Ghetto Organ / Jackie Mittoo
Dig The Ghetto Organ: A Jamaican Mix Made by Coop for Flea Market Funk.
Buy COOP’s art here.
Nice, been looking for some decent reggae .
“…Southern Culture on the Skids poster for the Troubadour, which portrayed a Rat Fink looking ghoul farting while simultaneously having sex with some country bumpkin girl in the back of a hot rod.”
ha! nice! i still own this one!
sweet mix too!
nice blend Coop.
anyone diggin’ this should also checkout this mix:
Great mix! Thanks man.
xoxo Rev Jack
Pingback: Dawn Penn – You Don’t Love Me « Flea Market Funk·