By now, you know how we feel about Record Store Day. Having been involved in projects that were related to the yearly celebration, we still have the opinion that every day is Record Store Day, and that most of the releases that come out are unnecessary. That being said, there are some releases that are necessary. And again, it’s from Boston’s Get On Down. These guys have gone above and beyond to be the boutique label that reissues unheard (and heard) hip hop and other types of genres they feel are pertinent to the culture. They are a vital piece of the vinyl community and continue to raise the bar, especially with limited edition pieces like this. This release is one of the major reasons we feel that they are doing a great service to vinyl collectors, old and new. The James Brown Revue: Live At The Apollo IV has never been issued before on vinyl or CD. These recordings come from the famous concert recorded over two nights in September of 1972 at the mecca of music in NYC. It features The JBs, Bobby Byrd, Lyn Collins, and The Godfather of Soul himself, James Brown. While there have been three previous volumes of the Live At The Apollo series, with the first being arguably the best live record of all time, Volume IV focuses on the hot bed of talent JB brought into his stable during this time. If you’re familiar with all these artists, you no doubt know what great musicians they were and how James Brown pushed them to be the best they could be. While we have no idea why it was shelved for the past four decades, at this point we don’t care because it’s finally getting it’s proper release with the help of Get On Down.
This is great for the James Brown completest who needs to have every record Mr. Dynamite ever put out, or for fans of funk in general. This exclusive live set will give you a look into the James Brown Revue and put you inside the Apollo those two nights for a seriously funky good time. Check out the mind blowing track list below.
Here’s the Track List:
1. Introduction Of The J.B.’s by Danny Ray [:55]
2. The J.B.’s – Hot Pants Road [3:04]
3. The J.B.’s – From The Back Side [4:34]
4. The J.B.’s – Wine Spot [3:14]
5. Introduction Of James Brown by Fred Wesley [:18]
6. James Brown – Never Can Say Goodbye [8:26]
7. The J.B.’s – Pass The Peas [6:24]
8. The J.B.’s – Honky Tonk [4:03]
9. Introduction By James Brown [:42]
10. The J.B.’s – Gimme Some More [3:13]
11. James Brown – There It Is [3:01]
12. Introduction Of Lyn Collins by Danny Ray [:26]
13. Lyn Collins – Do Your Thing [3:50]
14. Lyn Collins – Think (About It) [7:26]
15. Lyn Collins – I’ll Take You There [2:57]
16. Introduction Of Bobby Byrd by Danny Ray [:26]
17. Bobby Byrd – I Know You Got Soul [2:54]
18. Bobby Byrd – (If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don’t Want To Be Right [4:03]
19. Bobby Byrd – Keep On Doin’ What You’re Doin’ [8:51]
This two Lp set will be available exclusively on April 16, 2016 at select record stores. So if there is one release to get, this is it.
Remember to support your local independent record store every day as well. Keep vinyl culture alive.